I have decided to move the blog to Wordpress because it is easier to catagorise recipes. If you are looking for a specific recipe and can't find it here please look at the new Wordpress Blog. Thanks

Aug 20, 2008

Belgian Meatloaf

I made this from a zaar member last night last night and it delicious!! I also made the cheese and potato cakes from the same member and I will post this tomorrow. It is such a wonderful easy recipe to do it turns out moist and light, I served it with gravy as my men love their gravy. It was a perfect meal as My teenage son had just played his first football match with his team and they won 8-2, so a perfect meal for a champ. He loved both of the recipes and had seconds. We have a rating system out of 5 stars and this got a 5 all round. If you would like to see more photos or other reviews please click here.

If you have been keeping up with the progress of my beautiful handcrafted camphor laurel chopping, cheese boards and Mezzaluna Boards. My official site is finally finished and live so to see my full collection please click here.

Ingredients

1 Teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
1 Cup breadcrumbs
3/4 Cup whole milk (didn't bother with this just added few tablespoon to breadcrumbs before adding to the meat.)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Large onion, finely chopped
5 Ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped (I added 3)
2lbs Lean ground beef (I cut this back for 3 but made enough for left overs.)
1 Large egg (used 2 smaller ones.)
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon pepper
1 Pinch nutmeg
1 Tablespoon port wine (wonderful addition.)
1 Tablespoon cognac (wonderful addition.)
1 Sprig rosemary

Method

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, & brush a meatloaf pan with 1 teaspoon melted butter. (I did 200 degrees Celsius for 40 Min's as mine was smaller.)

2. Soak bread crumbs in 3/4 cup milk.

3. In medium skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, Then add onion & saute 2 minutes.

4. Add mushrooms & saute 5 minutes.

5. Add garlic & saute 1 minute.

6. In a mixing bowl, add ground beet & egg, then squeeze bread crumbs dry & add to bowl.

7. Add onion mixture, parsley, sage, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, sort & cognac, & mix well.

8. Place meat mixture in prepared pan, & top with rosemary, then bake 30 minutes.

9. Reduce heat to 400 degrees F & bake another 15 minutes.

10. Remove from oven & let rest 10 minutes before serving.


I serve mine with cheese and potato pancakes which I will be posting tomorrow.

All photos taken by me unless otherwise stated.

No comments: