I have decided to move the blog to Wordpress because it is easier to catagorise recipes. If you are looking for a specific recipe and can't find it here please look at the new Wordpress Blog. Thanks

Jul 17, 2008

Beer Battered Fish with Dipping Sauce

This is another recipe I made for a seafood platter night it was really good and again the ingredients listed below are just a guess for 4 people I think it will be about right. As I said in previous posts because I was making this as part of a large platter I cut back on everything because of all the dishes I made. I am also listing 2 of the sauces I made below; The lemon mayonnaise I served with the fish and the twist on the more traditional cocktail sauce I served with the prawns and crab meat.

If you have been keeping up with the progress of my beautiful handcrafted camphor laurel chopping, cheese boards and Mezzaluna Boards. My official site is finally finished and live so to see my full collection please click here.

Ingredients

3/4 Cup self raising flour
3/4 Cup plain flour
1 Teaspoon five spice powder
1 Egg
11/2 Cups beer
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
800g white fish fillets


Lemon Mayonnaise


2/3 Cup mayonnaise
1 Teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 Teaspoons lemon juice
Cracked black pepper to taste

Cocktail Sauce

3/4 Cup mayonnaise
4 Tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 dash of Cognac
2-3 drops Tabasco sauce
2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of paprika

Method

1. Whisk flours, five spice, egg and beer in a bowl until smooth (I use a bar mix)

2. Heat oil in deep fry pan or wok. Dip fish in batter, deep-fry fish, in batches, until crisp and cooked through. Serve with lemon mayonnaise, and lemon wedges if desired.

Lemon Mayonnaise

1. Combine mayonnaise, rind, juice and pepper in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.

Cocktail Sauce

1. Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, cognac, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and paprika in a bowl again cover and refrigerate until needed.

All photos taken by me unless otherwise stated.

No comments: