I have decided to move the blog to Wordpress because it is easier to catagorise recipes. If you are looking for a specific recipe and can't find it here please look at the new Wordpress Blog. Thanks

Mar 25, 2009

Salmon with a Whiskey Sauce

This is a very easy recipe to make and is definitely company worthy and makes for an elegant dish. We love salmon on our house and I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. I used Chivas Regal whiskey as this is what was in the cupboard but I have also made this with Crown Royal which I love, but I am sure this would also work well with any other whiskey. I served ours over wild rice with mushrooms and broccoli.

If you have been keeping up with the progress of my beautiful handcrafted, Eco friendly camphor laurel chopping, cheese boards, platter boards and mezzaluna boards. My official site is finally finished and live so to see my full collection please click here.

Ingredients

2 Salmon fillets
Salt and Pepper to season
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
3 Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon creamy fremch mustard
1 Teaspoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
1/2 Cup whiskey
1 Teaspoon vegetable stock granules
1/2 Cup orange juice
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1-2 Teaspoons cornflour (depending on how thick you want your sauce.)

Method

1. Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper.

2. In a pan, heat oil, add fillets skin side down, cook both sides until browned and cooked through. Approx 3-6 Min's a side depending on thickness. Mine were quite thick I cooked mine 5 a side.

While fillets are cooking make sauce.

Sauce

1. Melt butter in another pan, add garlic and onion, cook until onion softens, add mustard and brown sugar. Cook for a few seconds.

2. Add vinegar and whiskey, cook for a couple of minutes, add stock granules and orange juice, stir to combine.

3. Add cream, mix a little water with the cornflour and add to sauce, stir until heated through and sauce thickens.

To serve: Place salmon on plate and drizzle sauce over sprinkle with parsley if desired.

All photos taken by me unless otherwise stated.

No comments: