I have decided to move the blog to Wordpress because it is easier to catagorise recipes. If you are looking for a specific recipe and can't find it here please look at the new Wordpress Blog. Thanks

Feb 26, 2008

Chicken Curry

I usually make this recipe with beef but when I went to the store the other day they were completely out of rump steak and only had expensive cuts of meat, so I bought chicken and it tasted fine, but feel free to do this with beef as that is the way I usually make it and it tastes great. I just refused to pay those prices for beef when I was only doing a curry.


Ingredients

Olive oil
1KG Chicken, chopped into cubes
2 Medium onions, sliced thinly
3 Cloves garlic, crushed
2 Teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons dry white wine
3/4 Teaspoon turmeric
4 Cardamon pod's bruised (using a flat knife, press down on pod, with palm of hand, until pod splits.)
3 Teaspoons curry powder
2 Teaspoons vindaloo paste (I did quite generous teaspoons.)
11/2 Cups water
3-5 Tablespoons sweet mango chutney (I say 3-5 depending on personal taste as to whether you prefer more sweet or more spicy.)
1 Teaspoon chicken stock
2 Teaspoons cornflour


Method

1. Heat some Olive oil in a large pan, add onions and garlic, cook until onion softens.

2. Add meat and cook a couple Min's more, turning chicken pieces.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cornflour, bring mixture to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer, covered about 45 min's, stirring occasionally. (If making with beef simmer 11/4-11/2 hours or until steak is tender.)

4. Remove cover, add a little water to the cornflour, pour into sauce and continue to cook until mixture boils and thickens.

I served mine with mint yogurt, I used 150g natural yogurt mixed with 11/2 teaspoons mint sauce. I don't usually make the yogurt when serving with beef but I am sure it would go.

I also served this over bean sprouts to make it lower carb, I know this works with chicken, am not sure how it would go with beef as I have always served it with rice.

All photos taken by me unless otherwise stated.

No comments: